May 26th, 2014
Yields 6 servings.
Sadly, Asparagus season is coming to an end. Before it does, be sure to try out one of my favorite recipes. This healthy and tasty dish serves well for breakfast, lunch or supper, and is especially nice with morel mushrooms. It is a great recipe for Spring when eggs and asparagus are plentiful, but is really a great one to make any time fresh asparagus is available.
- 5 new potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, or 5 medium-sized morels, sliced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 7 to 8 asparagus spears, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 10 eggs (preferably organic cage free eggs)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup minced chives, plus extra for garnish
- Sour cream, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 500 F.
2. In medium bowl, toss potatoes with 2 tablespoons oil, salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes; check for browning. Reduce oven temperature to 450 and bake for additional 10 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Leave oven on.
3. In 12-inch skillet, sauté asparagus in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. In large bowl, whisk eggs, some salt and pepper, 1 cup cheese and chives.
5. In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat; add potatoes and asparagus. Pour in egg mixture. Cook for 2 minutes while lifting edges with spatula to allow eggs to flow underneath. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for additional 6 to 8 minutes undisturbed, making sure bottom does not burn. Remove from heat.
6. Place skillet in oven and bake for 4 to 5 minutes, or until eggs are set. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese, then bake a few minutes longer, until cheese is melted.
7. Carefully loosen frittata with spatula and turn out onto serving plate. Garnish with sprinkling of chives and serve with sour cream.